Did you know that 61% of employees report being burned out on the job and that stress is the biggest contributor of sick days across the board? Those sick days cost employers about 3.5 billion dollars each year and, while it may be easy to call it normal day-to-day life, the work place is one of the main causes of stress. We’ve all heard the term, “Work Hard, Play Hard,” but what happens if your organization is only working your employees hard in hopes that they “play hard” on their off hours?
While it might seem scary, it’s certainly possible to have a fun workplace without sacrificing productivity… in fact, happy employees that are having fun are actually up to 20% more productive than their unhappy counterparts. When an employee is feeling sad or low for any reason, their motivation drops which causes them to withdrawal and be overall less productive. You can’t always control the outside stress that employees may have. However, by creating a positive environment for your employees to work in, you can hopefully put them in a better mood, faster.
How do you make your office fun without installing a water slide? Here are a few more practical ideas:
To give your employees motivation and to keep them active, you should definitely encourage them to take regular breaks away from their desks. Maybe that’s a pool table or some beanbag toss… just a chance to pick up a quick game to relax for a few moment before getting back into work.
How about instituting a little “Office Olympics.” This can be done by things like having employees pick teams and playing charades or seeing who can type the fastest. If you’re ever looking for some great ideas of making something out of nothing, The Office has a GREAT episode on their own Office Olympics that could be easily replicated.
Get out of the Office
While you can coordinate a happy hour for your team, you could also do things like taking a long lunch on a nice day to walk around a park or perhaps make an ice cream run… it doesn’t have to be anything that will break your companies check book, but getting out of the office has been shown to loosen up and de-stress your employees.
At the end of the day, there are many things you can do to bring a good vibe to your office and it doesn’t all come back to wasting time or money. It is important to know that almost 40% of the workforce would give up $5,000 a year in salary to be happier at work and in 2018, only 42% of employees could say that they were happy where they worked. What about that remaining 58% of the workforce? Don’t lose out on some of your best people because you think you can’t afford to give them what they want or need. Making some minor changes and tweaks to your office environment can ensure you’re not only gaining the top talent but keeping the existing talent you have.
It is important to know that almost 40% of the workforce would give up $5,000 a year in salary to be happier at work and in 2018, only 42% of employees could say that they were happy where they worked.